Monday, April 8, 2013

Vancouver Island Parrot Refuge.

My parrot Jewel now lives at the parrot refuge on Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada. I brought her there on April 6, 2013, Saturday afternoon. Jewel was so excited to see all the other parrots.

What they do with new parrot arrivals is keep them in their own cage, keep it locked and then just put the cage into the large parrot flight pens. After the birds get use to each other, which usual is about three days, they let the bird out, and it is free to fly with the other parrot.

Right away certain parrots took a liking to Jewel. There was even one parrot that had the latch on Jewel's cage off and the door open within seconds. One of the workers spotted the open door before Jewel could get out and had it closed and better secured, so no other parrot could break her out.

I left Jewel there and took a tour of the rest of the Parrot Refuge. At the end of the tour I dropped back in to see how Jewel was doing. Jewel was busy making friends with all the new parrots. She was acting very happy taking in her new surroundings

Jewel was being well entertained and had no time to pay attention to me. I was assured that she would be happy here and not miss me.



I went back on Sunday to see Jewel. This is me standing in the open flight pen where I put Jewel's cage. I had four parrots land on me while I was in there.



This is Jewel sitting in her cage with all the other parrots around her.



Another picture of Jewel. It looks like she can't wait to get out

This time when Jewel saw me, she was happy to see me. Yelling "Hi Nela. Hi Nela." Over and over again. The person that runs the refuge told me they were going to let Jewel out on Monday and let her fly around with all the other parrots.

The green parrot sitting on Jewels cage has taken a liken to her and has not left the cage since Jewel arrived. He is waiting for Jewel to get sprung.



This Hyacinth Macaw kept jumping on me. What a beautiful parrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment